Monday, July 8, 2013

Socrative Teacher- An online student response system

I was planning on getting back to my discussion and examples of Google Tools but I have to share what I read about and tried over the weekend.  

Socrative Student Response System



Socrative is a student response system similar to clickers but it is web-based and everything is done online.  Here are some things that I learned while using Socrative and some thoughts on how I plan to use it next school year. (Click link under the picture)





1. Teachers can create activities and quizzes in advance or right in the middle of class for formative assessments.  Thoughts: I can use this as a exit ticket, a review for a test or for an actual quiz. I also noticed that when you create a quiz, an image can be uploaded for each question. I really like the questions asked on the exit ticket (the first question is for the student to type in their name.)





2. The answers to the single question activities are shown immediately to the teacher.  In the case of short answer, open-ended questions there is a feature that then allows the class to vote on the responses that students give!  Thoughts: The Common Core wants students to be able to debate and to defend their answers.  This can be used to create groups and have students defend their answer to convince the "other side". It is also great for quick true and false and multiple choice questions.

3. The answers to each activity can be downloaded as a report or emailed to you.  It opens it as an excel file or a Google spreadsheet and can be edited and saved. Socrative also grades the multiple choice and true/false items for you!  Thoughts: I am really excited about this since the data will be gathered and organized for me!  What a time saver! This is all done online and paperless, much easier than most data-gathering tools.



4. There is a place for teachers to share resources and ideas to use with socrative. They also post ideas on their blog.  Here is the site, click the picture below.  Thoughts: I love to see what other teachers are doing and this would be a great place to learn more about socrative.  I'm not a fan of reinventing the wheel and with everything else that we have to learn, this would be a great place to start with socrative.

My mind is now in overdrive and I am so excited to try this with my students in the fall. 
Hope you find it helpful too!
Ok, Google Tools Day 4: Research Tools tomorrow....unless something else really cool catches my eye :)
Jen 

No comments:

Post a Comment