Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Google Tools Day 2- Google Forms

Google Forms

My second day of blogging!  I love sharing what I have learned and I hope it helps :)
**Note: Click on any picture to enlarge it**

Thoughts

As teachers we constantly assess our students.  Formative assessments are a great way to find out what your students know before they leave or as they enter your classroom.  You can create a Google Form very quickly and easily to use as an exit or entrance card.  You can also survey your students or teachers or use it to collect data.  Go to your Google Drive and click Create and then select Form.  

  • You can choose a theme and title the form.


  • You can add questions for students to answer.  Answers can be in paragraph form, you can give multiple choice, checkboxes, or students can select correct answers from a list.  (This reminds me of choosing multiple answers like the Smarter Balanced Assessment is going to have.) You can also add images to the form so questions can relate to images, maps, graphs, diagrams, etc.


  • Students that need their assessments read to them can use the Read & Write Tool (which I will talk about later but it is item #7 on the 10 Creative Ways To Use Google Tools website. I noticed my free trial will end soon, I need to look into that!)



  • The form then collects all students responses on a spreadsheet for you to easily review.

How I Have Used It

  • I had students respond to an "email" using a form so i didn't have to open 100 emails, thank goodness. 

Here is the forrn
Here are some of the answers

  • I have used it as an exit card to formatively assess what students learned.  I used this form after a 2 day lesson on volume of a cylinder.  Next time I will add an image of a cylinder for one of the questions.

Here are some of the responses from the form.  Notice I highlighted the incorrect answers and also gave a grade out of 3 for each student.  (The student names are there I just made that column smaller so their names were not on here.)  I was able to see the main area of concern for my students and reviewed that concept the next day. I can also use the data to make groups for the next day to review and extend the concept.


  • I also used the form to ask students what they needed more help on from a review for our math 8 final exam.  We all know 8th graders won't raise their hand and this was a great way for me to get them participating and for me to know the main areas of concern so I could concentrate on those ideas.  As soon as the students responded, my results form was filled out, instantly!


I really encourage you to try Google Forms.  I really like them and find the best part is that the data is compiled automatically for me.  Plus the students really like it too :)

Happy "Forming"!
Jen 

No comments:

Post a Comment