Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Google Tools Day 1- Google Docs

I have been doing a lot of research this summer and came across this website 10 Creative Ways To Use Google Tools To Maximize Learning through the edudemic blog.  You should definitely follow them edudemic.com.

I have used six of these ten and plan to use the other four next year.  I will talk about one of the tools each day and share how I have used each in my classroom with students and/or with other teachers.





Google Docs

Thoughts

GREAT tool for students.  Just like the website article says, no more "I left my assignment at home on my computer." Or, "I lost my thumb drive," and "My printer ran out of ink."  It auto-saves (no more forgetting to press save before you exit) and students (as well as teachers) can create files in the "My Drive" to organize everything.
The gray file icon with the plus sign will create new files.

It's also a great way to share assignments with other students and for teachers to share documents.  In my class, I used this tool the most since it was the easiest to teach and learn.

When you click on the red Create button, it allows you to choose what you want to do.  Each item, like "Document" or "Presentation" look exactly like a word document or power point.  Some differences here and there (like there is not a spell check feature, the program only underlines incorrectly spelled words in red in which you can right click and chose a correct spelling) but for the most part very easy to use. The red arrow button next to create is an upload button.  This will allow you to upload files to your drive.

How I have used it

I have used Google Docs in many ways.  From students taking notes together, filling in graphic organizers, to creating projects for a science unit.  I think they are the easiest to use and the quickest to create and share. Here are some examples of how I have used Google Docs. (They look a bit different than if they were to open in Google docs since I had to publish each one to the web for this blog.)

Notetaking: In my 8th grade math class everyone added to the notes while checking a homework assignment
https://docs.google.com/a/romeo.k12.mi.us/document/d/1Xt7wk5uS2y-sXyYU65i5JfC4wvQs2b-sw1Vt02RSPjU/pub

Presentations: Just like powerpoint.  My 8th graders created an advice presentation on how to survive my 8th grade math class for next year's 8th graders :)  I love these kids! I'm glad I made it into their intro picture!
https://docs.google.com/a/romeo.k12.mi.us/presentation/d/1ALtTutsiQJD_gkMDC9x9mNK1laLO1fh6Vn0kqD7hGUw/pub?start=false&loop=false&delayms=3000#slide=id.p

Graphic Organizer: My 6th grade science classes had to fill in a drawing that I created to illustrate the igneous rock chart.  I created the chart and then shared it with them (this was ugly at first because I shared it wrong, but I will talk about that on my Chromebook Lessons page when I talk about that lesson).  They made a copy, filled it out and shared it back with me.  I was then able to comment on it to give direct feedback.
https://docs.google.com/drawings/d/1dvkDEGbFFJAETl3CW4vQOvsOQPXZSpA0PjazrsL3Pug/pub?w=960&h=720

Document Presentation: My 6th grade science students had to find pictures of each rock texture and the rock cycle for review before their test.  They created it on their own, no template this time.
https://docs.google.com/a/romeo.k12.mi.us/document/d/16Nu7Ogk2DYV0-2EUl7iV0rT_A8BqIY1tZEw704fdn9w/pub

Booklet: I gave 6th grade science students the blank template with the vocabulary words and they filled in it with definitions and pictures.
https://docs.google.com/a/romeo.k12.mi.us/document/d/1M8nNkLsFoHkQRgCVAZ0Icd7dVxte6yhrvDlfZKcgl7Q/pub

I plan to talk more about the planning of these on my Chromebook Lessons page as soon as I can.

Let me know if you have any questions so far!
Thanks,
Jen

1 comment:

  1. Google updated Docs to now include spell check! It's located under tools and click on spelling! :)
    Yay!!

    ReplyDelete